Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Hardest Job in the World? Today it Was

People often say being an at-home mom is the hardest job in the world. Yeah, right, I think. Not that it isn't hard, I just think there have to be harder jobs. Being a garbage man in San Francisco, for instance. Running up all those hills while carrying heavy bags and dodging trolleys. Or a snake charmer. A lion tamer. A bullrider. Anything involving animals who want to kill you.

But some days, I get what they mean. This morning, for instance, I would have picked up trash in San Francisco while riding a bull, playing the flute for a snake and with my head in a lion's mouth if it meant getting out of our house. Everybody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and only got one story done because the kids woke up at 6 a.m. Johnny had all these worksheets he needed help with (which are just for fun but which he stresses out over as though they are his doctorate dissertation.) When I gave J.J. his bottle he threw it across the room. Johnny and Richie were fighting. And someone was throwing a big fit.

Oh, that was me.

It would be like if you walked into your office and everyone started yelling at you and throwing things and demanding you to do x, y and z.

I hate it when people remain calm in these situations. It makes me suspect that they are robots. Possibly evil ones. At the same time, I wish I could remain calm. Rather than sending Johnny off to school looking as relieved as though he escaped a madhouse.

Well, things are nice and calm now. Yes, kids are pretty easy to take care of--when they're asleep.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny! I've had a few of those days! Not that you weren't a perfect angel at all times!!! Somehow, tomorrow comes and you can laugh at it!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bridge, you are amazing that you don't have more of those moments...i have them quite a bit and i work OUT side of the house!! you are the BEST mama!!
erin

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home