Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What Christmas (Music) Means to Me

I thought I’d heard all the Christmas songs. And all the Neil Diamond songs. (I'm a huge fan.) But this year, I heard, “Cherry Cherry Christmas” by Neil Diamond. It’s a new song.

If I were a song salesman, here’s how I would pitch this song:

Are you tired of hearing people say Merry Christmas? Merry, Merry, Merry. It’s all you ever hear. Well, why can’t it be some other word that rhymes with Merry but starts with C.H.?

Look no further. Here’s a song called, “Cherry, Cherry Christmas.” Not that worn out old trope, “Merry, Merry Christmas.” In this song, you’ll hear the phrase “Cherry Christmas,” whatever in the hell that means, 17 yes 17 times.

But that’s not all. You’ll also hear lots of other rhyming words that may or may not relate to Christmas.

Words like choir and fire. True and blue. Wine and Sweet Caroline. These words will come in no particular order, nor will they make any particular sense. They will, however, sound familiar because they’re Neil Diamond’s favorite vocab. words from his other songs.

So…any takers?

Yes, of course every 24-hour Christmas music station is all over it. And so am I. Neil Diamond does melodies like nobody’s business, and if he wants to rhyme a bunch of words from his other songs and call it Christmas music, I’m okay with that.

Plus, he said in an interview that this song took months to write. I love writers who admit how long writing a book or song takes. As opposed to saying, “I dreamed the whole thing and then it was just a matter of typing it.”

I should be happy for those writers. I guess I'm jealous. You see, one night, I thought I dreamed a whole story. So I woke up in the middle of the night and jotted down my brilliant idea.

The next day, I was excited to see what I wrote. Here’s what my notebook said:

I was wrong about Ted.

Like Cherry Christmas, I had no idea what in the holly jolly heck that meant.
But I do hope you and yours are having a Cherry Merry Larry Dairy Frankenberry Scary Hairy Quite Contrary Christmas this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard it tonight and couldn't help but think of your post. It is the very worst!!!!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home